1) Versace: Once insanely popular in the mid 90′s thanks to Notorious B.I.G and 2Pac Shakur, the Medusa head brand is back in full force in the second decade of the new millennium. Versace silk shirts and gold jewelry started popping up in videos last year now the trend has crossed borders with Nigerian celebs such as Wizkid, Davido and Ice Prince rocking the brand. To be part of the in crowd, a Versace item or two must be seen on you at public functions. Even Davido has done a freestyle on the popular ‘Versace’ song. We guess it is here to stay for a while.
2) T-Shirts with contrast pockets: The cool trend started late last year. From an American design it has now become a global phenomenon. T Shirts with contrast pockets is a little step higher from the simple and classy ordinary T-shirt. The contrast pocket adds a little bit of colour to the T-shirt, denim and sneaker get up. It’s a fresh fad which young pop Nigerian acts have started embracing.
3) Camo: the Camouflage or camo as it is popularly known is back in fashion circles. According to Forbes- the military-inspired motif is the hottest print in menswear seen in everything from shirts to shoes. For those who have discerning eyes, the Camo trend is in Nigeria with celebrities sporting the military wear. Camo or camouflage is making a resurgence after the height of its popularity 99/00. The trend started last summer in Paris with many top brands putting out camo designs. The camo fever is still very high in Europe, Asia, and North America and is beginning to seriously catch on in Nigeria.
4) Denim Jackets: Denim Jackets have stylishly replaced the Varsity jackets trend which was hot last year. Since the creation of denim it has been a mainstay of pop fashion over the decades. This year more and more young, cool and trendy people are taking the evergreen denim love higher by rocking denim jackets. The denim jacket can either be sleeveless or long sleeve depending on your style and taste. Denim jackets go best with chino pants. Double denim (that is the act of wearing a denim jacket on denim pants) is frowned upon in fashionista circles.
5) Rolex: Move over G-shock, the rolex is back. Many Nigerian artistes are dumping their Casio G-shocks for something more mature and what’s more mature than a Rolex? Whether gold or silver, a Rolex watch denotes class, taste and maturity. No wonder the chairman of rap music M.I wears one. With endorsement money flowing around in the music industry these days, young acts are buying Rolexes to make a power statement that they have moved from boys to men.