Nigerian music artists are gradually getting global recognition and acceptance. For the 2017 Grammys, Wizkid and another Nigerian Kah-Lo, who is barely known in the country, were nominated.
Born Faridah Seriki, Kah-Lo is the daughter a former minister Demola Seriki. Despite her ftaher's influence, the singer is still largely unknown in her home country.
Before she mentioned it on her Instagram page, Nigerians did not celebrate Kah-Lo’s nomination.
But after this went up: “Oluwa did it! Riton has all the swag sauce” , suddenly, we were interested.
So NAIJ.com is going to help by dishing out some facts about the self-proclaimed monotone princess.
1. Kah-Lo is the second Nigerian to be nominated for the 2017 Grammy awards. Wizkid was nominated alongside Drake .
2. Like Wizkid, Kah-Lo got a joint nomination with British DJ, Henry Riton Smithson in the Best Dance Recording category for the song Rinse & Repeat.
3. She is the daughter of a four-time minister under ex-president Goodluck Jonathan's PDP government, Demola Seriki. He is now a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Lagos state.
4. Kah-Lo had her secondary school education at the renowned Vivian Fowler Memorial College for Girls, Ikeja, Lagos. She proceeded to Hofstra University, USA where she studied Journalism and graduated in 2013.
5. Rinse & Repeat was released as a digital download in the UK on February 26, 2016. It was number 13 on UK’s Singles Chart and number 2 on the UK Dance Chart.
6. The song was streamed five million times on Spotify and played 1.5 million times on YouTube less than a month after its release.
7. Kah-Lo’s recent collaboration with Riton, Betta Riddim, is already enjoying heavy rotation on radio.
8. The fast-rising artist revealed to a fan that Rinse & Repeat was inspired by Lagos Christmas celebrations.
. 9. Kah-Lo’s father was minister four times. He served as minister of state for agriculture and water resources between 2007 and 2008, supervising minister for mines and steel development, October 2008 to December 2008, minister of state for defence between 2008 and 2009 and minister of state for interior between 2009 and March 2010.
10. Her mother is Alhaja Wosilat Okoya-Seriki who is the younger sister of billionaire Alhaji Razak Okoya, the chairman of Eleganza.
Here is wishing Wizkid and Kah-Lo success at the 2017 Grammy awards come February 12, 2017.